Posted on 24/03/2017 in Product Information, by Cheryl Charlesworth
Thermal transfer printers have recently grown in popularity, with more businesses discovering the advantages of using one.
To make sure you don’t miss out, we’ve put together this guide to help you understand the benefits that thermal transfer printers can bring.
What are thermal transfer printers?
A thermal transfer printer is specially designed for printing labels and variable data.
Using heat, the printer works by heating and melting wax-, wax/resin- or resin-based ‘foil’ onto the paper or printing material.
The labels produced are smear-proof, resistant to fading and ideal for functions such as barcodes, receipts, ID badges, shipping labels, and price tags.
Thermal transfer printers are also great for creating a more efficient point-of-sale experience for your customers.
How durable will my labels be?
There are three basic types of thermal foil – wax, wax/resin and resin.
If you are using a thermal foil, you can select many different grades depending on what you are printing onto as well as the durability that is required. The basic principle being the more resin that is introduced the greater the durability.
So, while using thermal reactive materials is a good solution in most cases, it can be limiting in terms of durability and longevity.
If you’re unsure of which type of labels are right for you, please don’t hesitate to speak to one of the team here at SoaBar for advice on your best option.
What are the benefits?
Thermal transfer printers are proving themselves to be more efficient, cost effective and reliable than traditional printers.
With a whole host of benefits, thermal transfer printers have:
- Higher quality – thermal transfer printers can produce higher quality, more durable and long lasting images than traditional printers.
- Faster print times – with print heads creating images in milliseconds, thermal transfer printers print at a much faster rate than other printers. With PC compatibility, you can also quickly import images and text from your computer to your printer. Making the process as fast as possible.
- Reduced costs – with no ink or cartridges, thermal transfer labels have less consumables than other printers. Paper and thermal film/foil are the only things you’ll need to replace. This will ensure that your business spends less money on supplies.
- Less maintenance – with fewer moving parts, thermal transfer printers are less likely to suffer jams, malfunctions and breakdowns. Maintenance costs are also lower as they don’t need to be serviced as frequently as traditional printers.
- On-demand capabilities – print exactly what you want, whenever you want.
- More print media choices – thermal transfer printers are not limited to just plain old paper. With a range of materials, including reflective and tamper-resistant tapes and self-laminating labels, you can get your label exactly the way you want it.
Overall, thermal transfer printers can create high quality and durable labels while saving your business time and money.
Thermal label printers create high quality and durable labels faster than traditional printers. With less maintenance and reduced costs, these printers will save your business valuable time and money. Ready to see what a thermal label printer can do for your business? Get in touch today.